There’s a reason we say “Cool as a cucumber.” Cucumbers have been around for about 10,000 years. They started out as a tropical plant but have been hybridized over time to grow quite well in more temperate areas. They pack a lot of fluid in them but also have a lot of nutrients include Vitamins A, C and folic acid in the list. They also have caffeic acid (not caffeine) which along with the Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) may help prevent water retention. This is why you should put cucumber slices over your puffy eyes, burns and itchy skin, even if it does look funny. They are considered sweet and cold in Chinese medicine. Kick back after a long, hot day with a:
Cool as a Cucumber Infusion
- 4 cups of chopped cucumbers put in herb cloth, cheese cloth or strainer or let it sit in the bottom of the container. Peel them or get organic as these tend to be sprayed and waxed a lot.
- Plain cucumber tastes great by itself. But you can add chopped watermelon, chopped mint if you wish. Both are herbs commonly used to clear summer heat in China. Both herbs are sweet and cool which makes you drink more and drain the heat.
- Pour water directly over all of it and let it sit for a few minutes. Stir occasionally.Add more water as you drink it up.
Makes at least a quart.
Now let’s take care of your dry, itchy, burnt skin.
If you are using your sunscreen use spf 30 or higher. Apply generously every 2 hours.
At the end of a day out in the sun it’s nice to get that stuff off and nourish the skin with something.
Try making your own sugar or salt scrub. It’s not hard at all.
Salts are usually coarser crystals and will be used more on feet, elbows and knees.
Sugar tends to come in smaller crystals and is gentler for more of the body. Use which ever you prefer. If you only have salt, don’t scrub so hard. Sugar, scrub harder.
Start with about ½ of scrub material. Apply to dry skin.
In ½ cup of oil (jojoba, almond, olive, coconut) mix any of these options:
- 1T dried lavender + 10-15 drops of lavender essential oil
- 1 teaspoon citrus zest (lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit or a mix)
If your skin is damp when you apply this it will dissolve the crystals and you won’t get the scrub effect. The crystals don’t dissolve in the oil and the oil won’t just rinse off when you wash off.
Stay chilled with infusions and scrubs that keep you soft and cool as a cucumber this summer.